All right, folks, the countdown is on. In the next 7 to 10 days a limited Onyx beta is going out the door.
There are things that will not work and only some skirmishes, races, obstacle courses and a bit of the first chapter will be included. Many features are not going to be complete and the balancing is going to be terrible. But it'll be playable.
I need Windows and Linux beta testers. Ideally 15 to 30 of each with some overlap.
- Patience. There may be some hoops to jump though for some systems. That's the point of the beta so if you're not willing to put minimal energy into helping me isolate bugs then this beta isn't for you.
- A relatively fast machine. How fast? I have no idea, that's what we're going to find out.
- At least 512 meg memory. Onyx isn't what one would call 'efficient' at the moment.
- A fairly fast video card with OpenGL drivers installed. How fast? No idea. It used to work on a GeForce 4MX and probably still does. Both the ATI and Nvidia drivers in Linux work.
- The willingness to provide feedback in excess of: "Looks good" or "Good work". These are easy to say, easy to hear and have absolutely no value at all to anyone.
- The ability to not pass the beta along to 'just one friend'. This beta will contain improperly credited if not infringing resources. Nothing particularly egregious, but it won't be acceptable for distribution.
Let's Do This Thing
If you're interested you can leave a comment or, preferably, email me. Including your basic system specifications would be helpful.
It's been years and we're getting close. I hope to hear from lots of people.